Thursday, August 11, 2016

Pink is Joy and Joy brings with it a Smile


In my first post I made a promise that I will write on what each day brings me; that I will not force “words or a topics.” Today, I didn't feel those "words" that needed to be shared or spoken. I don't know if it will be as easy or comfortable as it was today, but it was sitting well with me not to blog today though I must confess that silence comes natural to me.  

Then it came gently and surprisingly--a text message accompanied by a photo of a pink blouse with a question, “Good morning, Lilly. Greetings from rainy/overcast Barbados. Does this look familiar?"

It didn't look familiar and I said no. But, of course I knew if the question was put to me, I had some association with the pink blouse, though no recollection. My dear friend, Jan, told me I had given it to her as a gift in 2003 and that she has treasured it and thought of me when she wore it. She told me today she was wearing it and did send a photo of herself beaming happily and dressed in it. I could see from its still bright color and good condition that she had indeed taken good care of it.

The timing of her text unknown to her came on a difficult morning. I had been having a sad and tearful morning and thousands of miles away from me she was taking a selfie and the above photo to send to me. A photo of a gift given 13 years ago entered into my day and broke through my sadness. Some will call it coincidence, others will call it synchronicity. I call it the love of God looking down upon my sad disposition and sending a smile my way.

Some of the attributes that pink represent are joy, hope, the giving and receiving of nurturing, unconditional love and understanding, tenderness, kindness, and empathy. In a very organic way, I felt many of these emotions when I looked upon the 2 text photos sent to me from thousands of miles away of a gift given 13 years ago.


I believe in the power of a smile, most especially in dark moments and I needed one today. Thanks to my friend and a gift of a pink blouse a smile broke through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment