Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The Oak Tree: A Message of Encouragement - A Hallmark Card



I couldn't get up this morning, still I was able to, before going back only to wake again feeling like I haven't slept at all. I am depleted and for me what that means is that "I" am completely spent but my Lord is not. Today is one of those days on which I shall live and love and perform all my duties on the economy of GRACE.

On these types of days, I turn to where strength rest to scaffold me. I started with Scripture reading and some daily reflections from the AA/Al-Anon materials: Courage to Change; Twenty-Four Hours a Day; Today I will do one thing: Daily Readings for Awareness and Hope.

Then I reached for the Hallmark Card. I didn't plan to, but paradoxically so, lethargy quite often has its own energy that directs us to act, albeit in ways that all too often maybe unhealthy because we are vulnerable. That has often happened to me. But if we can be still in the lethargy, not resist it, not quarrel with it but discern its flow, its energy is directed to a positive flow. Today, I was listening to its voice as it directed me to a positive act when I reached out and took up the card.

I wish to share the poem of the card given to me from me, purchased on a day like this on 1/19/2016 when a dear best friend called to tell me that she had lost her sister.


"The Oak Tree" ~ A Message of Encouragement

A mighty wind blew night and day.
It stole the oak tree's leaves away,
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
Until the oak was tired and stark.
But still the oak tree held its ground
While other trees fell all around.
The weary wind gave up and spoke,
"How can you still be standing, Oak?"
The oak tree said, "I know that you
Can break each branch of mine in two,
Carry each leaf away,
Shake my limbs, and make me sway,
But I have roots stretched in the earth,
Growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them, for you see,
They are the deepest part of me.
Until today, I wasn't sure
Of just how much I could endure.
But now I've found, with thanks to you,
I'm stronger than I ever knew."


May the winds of our illnesses, depression, bipolar, anxiety, schizophrenia, paranoia and any other illness whether it be physical or emotional have roots deep in hope within you. May you know that within you there are roots deeper than any illness or challenge. Like the card says, every "branch" of our spiritual, emotional, mental and physical strength may be broken yet we are still here—we are persevering. May we live on hope and grace just for today and if a whole day seems too much to hope for, let’s hold on to hope for the moment—this very moment.

1 comment: